Senior-Friendly Downsizing Resources
for a Smooth Move
Thinking about moving into a smaller house? It’s no secret that downsizing is a lot of work. Besides selling your home and buying a new one, you have to sort through all of your belongings and navigate the complicated moving process. If you’re trying to declutter your possessions and find a home that better suits your post-retirement lifestyle, this guide can help! We’ve gathered some great downsizing resources to help you enjoy a successful move.
Preparing Your Finances
Getting your finances in order before buying a new home is a critical step in the process.
● Plan your retirement budget so you know how much you have to spend.
● Review Albuquerque home prices and trends.
● Seniors of all ages can get mortgages if they qualify financially.
● Veterans can turn to VA loans for mortgage help.
● Learn about some mortgage basics.
Professionals Who Can Help
You don’t have to face the downsizing process alone! Hire experienced professionals to help you tackle tough decisions and demanding tasks.
● Connect with Franz Redl, a dedicated and experienced real estate professional who has expertise in the Albuquerque market.
● A professional organizer can help you organize your belongings.
● Use a moving cost calculator to estimate the cost of hiring movers.
● Hire professional cleaners to give your new home a thorough cleaning.
How to Find the Perfect Home
When searching for the perfect smaller home, look for features that will help you age in place.
● To improve your quality of life, look for a walkable neighborhood.
● If possible, look for a home with the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, and living room on the first floor.
● Try to stay close to your family and social network.
● If you choose to move into a retirement home, consider location, budget, and your lifestyle.
Coordinating Your Move
There are countless steps involved in preparing and packing for a move.
● Start planning your move at least two months in advance.
● When decluttering your home, start with clothes and shoes before moving on to larger items like furniture and outdoor equipment.
● Ensure boxes go in the right room by labeling the top and both sides of the box.
Buying a new home is stressful, but downsizing into a smaller space is a whole other story! To make your life easier, hire professional decluttering and moving assistance, get your financial prerequisites in order before looking for a home, and start planning your move with a couple of months to spare. You’ll be able to relax in your downsized home before you know it!